Match Reports – 06/01/24

Match Reports – 06/01/24

CYFC u12’s Youth 4 – 1 Dunnaman

First game of the new year and the Cookstown boys made the long journey to Banbridge to face Dunnaman. The Lads wasted no time in opening the scoring, a neat through ball from Cameron Donnelly to Danny Kelly and a great pass sent Noah Young through to see the boys go 1 up after 2 minutes.
Dunnaman got the heads up and came back at us straight away and when the boys failed to clear the ball they took their chance and equalised, 1 each. Cookstown boys created a good few chances but the Dunnaman keeper was equal to them, until a good in swinging corner from Cillian Conway seen the big skipper Keegan Kelly rise and head in to put the Cookstown lads ahead, 2-1 at the break.

Four changes at half time seen the Cookstown boys create chance after chance but couldn’t beat the goal keeper who was having a great game, but some nice play down the right by Jamie Loughran beating 2 boys and getting the ball in for Caiden ohagan to score his first goal for the Youth, 3-1 Cookstown. The fourth goal and best of the day was scored by right back Liam Montgomery, a corner from the left that was headed out by a Dunnaman defender, was controlled by Liam, 1 touch and hit on the half volley and hit the roof of the net. 3 points and up the road again. Man of the match Caiden ohagan,solid performance and nice goal too.
Boys are 3 wins from 3 in the league Cup now. Next up is Knock out cup against Craigavon City next week.

Squad: R. Donnell, C. Devlin, K. Kelly, C. Ohagan, C. Conway, C. Donnelly, J. Donnelly, N. Young, D. Kelly, Z. Nellins, L. Montgomery, J. Loughran, R. Hughes

CYFC u18’s 2 – 1 Phoenix Athletic

Last Friday evening the 2006’s made the short trip to Meadowbank to face Phoenix Athletic in the first round of the NL Cup in their opening fixture to 2024.Recent meetings which ended in draws pointed to the prospect of another close encounter and to form that ended up being the case.

The home side started the brighter with Cookstown striker Murphy going close with a couple of attempts around the edge of the Athletic area. McKnight on the right supported by full back Kudrenko created several half chances in the opening 10 minutes. Early Cookstown pressure led to the opening goal after a great header from Wilkinson who met a fantastic Kerrigan corner from the left on 15 minutes. Kerrigan then spurned a chance when the Phoenix keeper mis-kicked a clearance on 25 minutes. A long ball from deep inside the Phoenix half split the Cookstown defence with the Athletic striker capitalising on indecision to draw the match just before the halftime whistle.

Into the second half Phoenix started to dominate possession of the ball in midfield which led to a couple of efforts from distance on keeper Gordon’s goal. Cookstown responded but just couldn’t find the killer pass in the final third. Og Shields replaced Murphy up front to try and add a bit of pace to the frontline. His pace and movement created a couple of chances before a drive from distance rattled the Cookstown crossbar. Good work from Shields opened the door for captain McLean to plunder the winner right at the death to put Cookstown into the next round of the Cup.

Squad: E. Gordon, L. Martin, J. Kerrigan, J. Murphy, J. Burton, A. Whitten, A. Kudrenko, T. Wilkinson, J. McKnight, B. Keturakis, P. McLean (c), S. Og Shields.