U14s Hit Ballymena For 7 In Horrible Conditions

U14s Hit Ballymena For 7 In Horrible Conditions

CYFC u11s defeated St Malachys

Saturday the boys were in action this time in the replay of their NIBFA last 16 match against St. Malachys of Belfast. With last weeks match having to be abandoned due to the adverse weather, the boys were keen to get this match going & with windy but sunny conditions the game got underway & it wasn’t long before Gabrysiak had his first attempt at goal but the ball went just wide of the post. CYFC pressed hard & were giving St. Malachys no time or space & after some good defending Campbell released Gabrysiak & he fired in a low cross that the St. Malachys defender could only poke into his own net to give CYFC the lead. With the wind now picking up, a long clearance from St Malachys gave CYFC some problems and the ball went out for a goal kick. From the goal kick the wind pushed the ball back and the St. Malachys attacker latched on to it and fired home to level the score against the run of play. Undeterred by this CYFC went back on the attack and from a Levsins corner Kerr lost his man in the box & connected with the ball to put CYFC into the lead again. The boys now full of confidence started to pick their passes & the back 3 of Mcmullan, Donnelly & Moore were so confident on the ball, releasing the midfield to continually attack the St. Malachys defense. Just before the break, Otzel was able to release Levsins on the left & he fired home to give CYFC a comfortable lead at the break.

With the wind now at their backs CYFC went on a full on press, keeping St. Malachys pegged into their own half. The boys continued their slick passing even in the difficult conditions as the weather had now turned to rain & sleet. Again & again they pressed & it was Kerr who popped up to blast the ball into the back of the net to get his second of the game. Muldoon now came on & his energetic pressing continued the CYFC dominance & it wasn’t long before he got his just rewards by coolly slotting the ball home from the edge of the area. Another CYFC corner was swung in & again St. Malachys defended in numbers but CYFC wouldn’t let them out and Levsins took his chance, thumping the ball over the line to get his second of the game. CYFC were hungry for more & continued their press & possession & after Campbell fed the ball to Muldoon he played a 1-2 with Campbell & then struck the ball beautifully into the bottom corner to give Muldoon his second of the game. With only moments left in the game the best was still to come & it was Gabrysiak who had worked hard all game from the front found himself in midfield & he hit the ball on the half volley to score a screamer a few meters from the halfway line.

The game ended with CYFC progressing into the quarter finals of the NIBFA plate competition were they will face Portavogie in the upcoming weeks.



CYFC u12s 3-1 Ballyclare Colts

Last Saturday the 2008’s made the long trip to Girdwood Hub in North Belfast for the second weekend in a row to face Ballyclare from the SBYL in the second round of the NIBFA Plate. The young sizzlers were leading 3-1 after 22 minutes the previous Saturday, when a severe deterioration in the weather led to the match having to be abandoned. Coaches Donnelly and Warwick were fearful that this reply from a strong winning position might come back to bite them were realised when Ballyclare raced into the lead from a powerful header from a corner on only 3 minutes. Ballyclare’s tails were up with the early lead with Cookstown struggling to cope with their rapid transition and physicality from central midfield as they pushed for a second. Patterson was forced into a superb save and clearance as Cookstown took all of 10 minutes to get a foothold in the game and show their National League credentials with Ferguson going close with a stinging effort. He then saw another effort cleared off the line on 15 minutes before ripping the back of the net with a fantastic free kick from 18 yards on 19 minutes. Defender Lennox then went close with a drive from distance before Donnelly and Kelso saw efforts well saved just before the break.

Into the second half Ferson went close with a long range effort before Lennox powered home Cookstown’s second from a Ferguson corner to take a deserved lead. Patterson then made a fantastic save on the half hour before Kelso and McElhatton forced good saves from the Ballyclare keeper. Ballyclare were still pushing for an equaliser with Patterson, Lennox, Irwin and Ferson having to be at their best to manage the threat. Good work from McElhatton, McKenzie, Donnelly and Kelso in midfield led to Ferguson’s second and Cookstown’s third on 45 minutes as the young blues ran out deserved winners and secured a berth in the last eight of the competition.

Hillsborough Boys up next in the quarterfinals of the National League KO Cup in a fantastic first season in the National League.

TEAM: B. Patterson, B. Lennox, E. Irwin, J. Ferson, A. McElhatton, J. Donnelly, H. McKenzie, J. Ferguson, I. Kelso, J. Wilson, J. Price, B. Mulgrew, C. Talbot, J. Patterson.

CYFC Youth u14s 7-0 Ballymena Utd u14s

On Saturday the Under 14 Youth team took on Ballymena at the Mid Ulster sports arena. The CYFC lads started very brightly and were quick off the mark with Cahir Spiersopening the scoring after only two minutes. Ballymena were clearly rocked with the high pressing tactics from the sizzlers, with Wilkinson and McNicholl menacing in midfield.

CYFC doubled their lead when James Bell slipped the ball across to Mallon who made no mistake with the finish. Ballymena seemed to steady themselves to mount a number of attacks of their own, testing Pitts, McElkennon, Hawker and McClean in defence. CYFC got a third goal when a mix-up in the Ballymena box lead to a penalty. The spot kick was coolly converted by Mallon, smashing the ball into the right hand corner of the net. With the momentum now all with the CYFC lads Kearney and Bell linked up beautifully to make it 4-0 at the break.

The start of the second half saw manager Kelly make a number of changes with McKeown, McGeehan and Kerrigan coming on. The changes did not disrupt the momentum of the game as the CYFC continued to pound the Ballymena defence as they struggled to manage the power and skill of Bell up front. He provided Kearney with another superbly timed through ball, allowing him the easiest of finishes. Kearney secured his hat trick five minutes later following some sublime individual play from Cahir Spiers. Spiers got a well deserved goal himself and rounding off a very satisfying win for the local lads.

Team: Moran, McClean, McElkennon, Pitts, Hawker, Kearney, Wilkinson, McNicholl, Spiers, Mallon (c), Bell, Kerrigan, McGeehan, Mckeown.

MOTM – James Bell

Previous Only a Few Matches Played in February as The Storms Kept Coming!

You might also like

5 Of The Best For The U17s

CYFC u12’s 3 Ballinamallard Youth 2 Last Saturday the 2008’s made the long trip to Ferney Park to face Ballinamallard in the second round of the NIBFA KO Cup. The

U11s Fight Back To Beat Local Rivals

CYFC u11s defeated Dungannon Colts u11s On Saturday the young sizzlers were in action in the Mid Ulster Youth League Knock out cup competition against Dungannon Colts at Dungannon Youth

Colts Drop First Home Points of The Season

CYFC u11s defeated Annagh Utd With last Saturdays match cancelled due to the adverse weather the young sizzlers were anxious to get back on the pitch & continue their great