U12s Go Through On Penalties To The Next Round Of The NIBFA Cup

U12s Go Through On Penalties To The Next Round Of The NIBFA Cup

CYFC defeated Lurgan Town Predators

CYFC were back in league action after the Christmas break against Lurgan town predators. The boys took the trip down the M1 to the Lurgan town arena & their dedicated 9aside 3g pitch on a beautiful sunny morning. The game kicked off with CYFC the brighter & it wasn’t long before Gabrysiak had the first chance of the game but his shot was smartly saved by the Lurgan keeper. Both teams were a little ‘rusty’ from the break but it was CYFC who blew off the cob webs first  to draw first blood when Campbell opened the scoring with a well placed curling shot into the top corner of the net. Soon after, a cross from Levsins saw Moore nip in at the back post & tap the ball in to increase CYFC’s lead. CYFC were now in control of the game & the back 3 of Mcgurk, Mcmullan & Donnelly were snuffing out any Lurgan attack. Orzel then went close with a long range shot after some smart passing between Campbell & Levsins. Gabrysiak then slid a lovely through ball for Moore & he beat the left back for pace to blast the ball high into the Lurgan net. Moore then turned provider when he again beat his man & crossed the ball this time for Gabrysiak who calmly passed the ball into the net to give CYFC a commanding lead at the break.

A formation change for CYFC  & the 2nd half got under way with CYFC pressing Lurgan into their own half. Kerr was bullying the Lurgan defence & he passed neatly to Muldoon & he tapped the ball over the line to give him his first of the new year. Levsins then stuck a low shot from distance & the ball squeezed under the diving keeper to again increase CYFC’s lead. Kerr was dominating the Lurgan town defence with his power & strength & again the Lurgan keeper was called into action saving shoots & diving at Kerr’s feet to deny him his first of the new year. CYFC were in total control in this half & the introduction of Smyth & Maciejzuk in defence kept CYFC high up the pitch, playing a high line & constantly catching Lurgan offside. A corner then from Levsins in the dying moments of the game saw Muldoon head the ball in from close range after some fantastic movement from him to lose his marker in the box. The game ended with a dominating performance from CYFC & a great victory to start the new year.



  CYFC u12’s 4-4 Portadown u12’s (Cookstown won 5-4 pens)

Last Saturday the 2008’s faced Portadown at MUSA in the first round of the NIBFA KO Cup after a well deserved Christmas break. Despite a friendly run out to Draperstown Celtic two days previous, the young Whites started slowly and on the back foot against a very dynamic Portadown side. After a shot from McElhatton on 2 minutes the Reds broke clear to drive home from the edge on 4 minutes. Mulgrew saw a great effort sail just over the crossbar on 7 minutes before Portadown doubled their lead on 10 minutes from a very debatable penalty. McElhatton spurned a great chance 2 minutes later before Lennox headed over the crossbar from close range on 15 minutes. Striker Kelso then shot inches wide after a quick comer on 18 minutes before Portadown headed home from a corner on 20 minutes. To their credit the young Sizzlers kept going and Lennox powered home from close range right on the halftime whistle.

Into the second half the Whites went for it buoyed by Lennox’s goal. In a formation change,  substitute Long went close with his first header on 34 minutes before doubling Cookstown’s tally 4 minutes later with a bullet header. Three minutes later McElhatton found Kelso in space who superbly opened his body to slide home a wonderful equaliser from 12 yards. Patterson was forced into a couple of great saves before captain McKenzie tested the Red’s keeper with a drive from distance. Kelso then powered home his second of the game after great work from Donnelly with minutes remaining. To their credit the Ports never gave up and thundered home the equaliser in injury time to leave all square again on the final whistle. Straight to penalties and Cookstown secured a fantastic comeback and dramatic win with five perfect penalties from Donnelly, Mulgrew, Long, Ferson and Wilson with the Ports failing with their fifth pen. Literally a game of two halves with a trip to Ballinamallard in the last 16 of the competition.

TEAM: B. Patterson, B. Lennox, E. Irwin, J. Ferson, A. McElhatton, H. McKenzie, B. Mulgrew, J. Donnelly, I. Kelso, J. Ferguson, J. Wilson, E. Long, C. Talbot, J. Price, J. Patterson.

Oxford  United 1-3 CYFC u14 Youth

On Saturday the Under 14 team hosted Oxford United at the MUSA. The travelling team set out their intent early on and had the best of the early exchanges, shaving the bar on a number of occasions. Some tactical changes midway through the first half saw the CYFC team steady the ship in mid field and started to penetrate the Oxford defence and it was Cookstown who opened the scoring after 30 minutes. Some nice one touch football down the right wing provided Speirs with the opportunity to whip the ball into the box which was dispatched by Mallon into the top right hand corner.

The second half was another tightly contested affair as Oxford United pressed for an equaliser. Ten minutes into the half they got their reward, some loose defending from CYFC allowed their striker through on goal, making no mistake. With the prospect of extra time looming it was CYFC who seized the initative as Charlie Hawker made a penetrating run from mid field only to be fouled in the box. The referee had no hesitation in awarding the penalty which was promptly drilled into the left hand corner of the net by Mallon.

The tie was effectively sealed two minutes later as man of the match Hawker threaded a perfectly timed ball through to James Bell who made no mistake with a clinical finish into the bottom corner of the net. An entertaining match for the neutral supporter and Cookstown will look forward to meeting Glenavon in the next round of the Cup.

Team – Moran, Hawker, Sheehy, McNicholl, Quinn, McClean, Wilkinson, Kerrigan, Mallon (C), Speirs, Higgins, Ward, Kearney, Bell, McElkennon, Neeson.

COOKSTOWN YOUTH COLTS 6-1 68th Newtownabbey OB

Last Saturday the Colts were back in league action following the Christmas break and entertained 68th Newtownabbey OB at MUSA. Having ended 2019 at the top of the league the Colts were really up for this game and took the game straight to 68th. CYFC welcomed back Paul Stewart and Fernando Silva from injury to boost the squad.

The first half really showed the Colts doing their best with some super football being played and within 7 minutes the Colts were one up following Paul Stewart chasing down the ball, nicking it of the defender and firing home from an acute angle. Another chance fell to the Colts after some great work between Drew Kelly, Paul Stewart and David Millar which saw the keeper save. On 10 minutes a 68th cross from the right saw a stunning overhead kick from the 68th forward hit the back of the net to level the scores Whilst this knocked the Colts they took the initiative and pushed on with chances falling for Kelly, Cameron McMullan & Stewart. On 24 minutes Caleb Robb found Piotr Gubyrsiak on the right who went direct on goal and fired home at the near post to put the Colts 2-1 up and just 7 minutes later Robb battled through a few 68th tackles and the ball fell to Stewart who fired home to put the Colts 3-1 up.

The Colts continued to halt the 68th advances with Ryan Dobson and Gary Adams continually mopping up anything that managed to get passed Robb and Silva. The second half started with the Colts still in the changing rooms. For the first 15 minutes the Colts were chasing shadows. 68th were pressing and the Colts has totally lost their shape but once they settled their game plan was resumed. Millar had a point blank header saved, then an Adams free kick found Kelly whose persistence found James Kilpatrick who slotted hone to make it 4-1. With 15 minutes left the Gabrysiak added another couple to complete his hat-trick.

Manager Noel McKenzie said it was a great display today. A bit frustrating at the beginning of the second half but none the less a good display for the first game in 4 weeks. Head Coach Michael Leek added that our boys keep their shape bar the beginning of the second half but some of the passing and movement today was exceptional. We hope to push on from here and maintain our position at the top of the league. John Scott added that we could have added at least another half dozen goals today but some fortunate defending from Newtownabbey keep the score down.

Team: J Campbell, D Millar, R Dobson, G Adams, C McMullan, C Robb, F Silva, J Kilpatrick, P Gabrysiak, P Stewart, D Kelly. P McGarvey, L Johnston, K McMullan, M Brown.


Previous CYFC u11s Into Last 16 of NIBFA Plate
Next Tough Conditions Doesn't Stop U14s Securing A Hard Fought Win

You might also like

Colts Drop First Home Points of The Season

CYFC u11s defeated Annagh Utd With last Saturdays match cancelled due to the adverse weather the young sizzlers were anxious to get back on the pitch & continue their great

5 Of The Best For The U17s

CYFC u12’s 3 Ballinamallard Youth 2 Last Saturday the 2008’s made the long trip to Ferney Park to face Ballinamallard in the second round of the NIBFA KO Cup. The

U14s Hit Ballymena For 7 In Horrible Conditions

CYFC u11s defeated St Malachys Saturday the boys were in action this time in the replay of their NIBFA last 16 match against St. Malachys of Belfast. With last weeks