On Saturday 8th October, CYFC 11s entertained Beragh Swifts at Mid Ulster Sports Arena.

The Cookstown team were on a great run of performances, including one the week before against the same opposition, and were eager to see it continue. Although it took some very hard work, in the end they did just that and delivered a brilliant team performance.

The back line made up of Luke McElkennon, Tom Wilkinson and Conall Sheehy are growing in confidence every week and it was evident to see as they calmly cut out the Beragh attacks and passed the ball into spaces for the teammates to relieve the pressure. This, along with the command and composure of Jack McClure in the Cookstown goal, meant that the Cookstown defense was almost perfect on the day.

The midfield made up of Peter McLean, Luke Neeson, Matej Kluka and captain Aaron Quinn were working extremely hard in order to win the ball against a strong Beragh midfield, and to try and create chances for the lone striker up front, Tom Bell, who was running his socks off chasing down every ball in the Beragh defense and putting them under serious pressure.

The game started well for Cookstown who created a lot of chances in the opening few minutes, the best of which being a Tom Bell shot which struck the outside of the post. They continued to press the Beragh team into their own half and were almost rewarded when a Peter McLean corner was met at the front post by the head of Luke McElkennon, but his effort was just wide. This seemed to be the theme of the first half, Cookstown worked their way into great positions but the ball just didn’t want to hit the back of the net. The half finished with a final chance for Luke Neeson but his shot was saved well by the Beragh goalkeeper.

The second half saw two changes for Cookstown, Jack Kearney replaced Luke Neeson and James Bell replaced Tom Bell. Once again the boys were straight out of the gates and were attacking the Beragh defense but with no reward. Jack Kearney received the ball from Aaron Quinn, and found Matej Kluka at the edge of the box but his effort just missed the top corner. More changes were made with Jamie Kerrigan replacing Matej Kluka and Chris Ward taking over for Peter McLean. The Cookstown defense, which had been brilliant all day, was undone by a stroke of bad luck. Following a great tackle by Tom Wilkinson, a scramble in the Cookstown box seen the ball drop to the Beragh striker and he blasted it home despite the fingertips of Jack McClure almost keeping it out. However, the Cookstown lads responded straight from the kick off. After beating two men, Jamie Kerrigan played an inch perfect ball through to James Bell who slotted the ball into the bottom corner. With their tails up, Cookstown went after another. Tom Wilkinson was replaced by Peter McLean. Beragh were also on the attack and it took a magnificent save from Jack McClure to keep them at bay. From that save, the ball was played into the midfield where Aaron Quinn played it wide to Peter McLean, who played in a brilliant ball which James Bell finished off into the back of the net to the delight of his teammates, coaching staff and the Cookstown supporters.
Overall, a never give up attitude resulted in a great performance by the team.

Cookstown Under 11s: Jack McClure, Luke McElkennon, Tom Wilkinson, Conall Sheehy, Peter McLean, Matej Kluka, Aaron Quinn (C), Luke Neeson, Tom Bell, Jamie Kerrigan, James Bell, Chris Ward, Jack Kearney, Ethan Gordon


CYFC13s 3-0 Ballymena Academy (National League)

Cookstown rode their luck at times but recorded a fantastic victory to push them further up the table. The boys were in confident mood after last week’s 4-0 win and this showed early on. McNally had started the match brilliantly and it was his lay off to the onrushing Michael Forbes that was fantastically placed high into the net for the early goal. Ballymena woke up after that and they forced Cookstown onto the back foot with a few attacks but the defence of Hurl, Donnelly, O’Hare and O’Donnell held firm. Forbes, O’Hare and Kane were working tirelessly in midfield while McNally, Donaghy and Ferguson offered lots of running behind the defence. At half time the coaches were keen to praise the effort of the boys while encouraging them to save their energy for the second thirty minutes. Two minutes into the half and an uncharacteristic mistake allowed Ballymena a free run at goal but Devlin in nets was equal to it with a fine save. Cookstown brought on Murphy and he made an instant impact when a super through ball by Shea O’Hare left him his chance and he, unlike Ballymena before him, scored past the keeper to make it 2-0. Devlin and Larmour were brought on to add fresh legs and they certainly did that with vigour and determination. The final goal came when from a long free kick from Forbes the ball found its way to Kane who expertly finished from 5 yards. Final score 3-0.

Squad: Devlin, Donnelly(MOTM) , Hurl, O’Donnell, Se O’Hare, Forbes (C), Sh O’Hare, Kane, Ferguson, McNally, Donaghy, Devlin, Murphy and Larmour


Cookstown Youth U14’s played TTBS at Gordon Playing Fields, Lurgan on Saturday. Cookstown were in the ascendency in the early stages and made their dominance count when T.Davidson slotted home after a great cross from Smith. Cookstown went two up soon after when Cahoon won the ball in midfield and immediately sent T.Davidson into space, his cross finding Smith who shot past the keeper. It was Cahoon again the playmaker when he played a disguised pass into T.Davidson who shot powerfully into the net. From a quick throw in, a delightful cross from Henry was met by Smith for a wonderful headed goal. With Cookstown keeping up the pressure and the work rate, a powerful shot by Smith wasn’t held by the TTBS keeper and T.Davidson pounced to score his first hat trick for Cookstown.  The home team pulled one back before half time with a well worked goal. The second half saw Cookstown score two more, with goals from Donnell from a corner kick and Ekiert with a great strike from outside the box.  
Final Score: – CYFC14s 7 – TTBS 1
CYFC u16s 2 Newry 5

Last Saturday the young sizzlers made the long trip to Scarva Park to face Newry in the Mid-Ulster League. In summer like conditions on a perfect grass surface Cookstown started strongly with the Newry keeper almost conceding from a long range attempt from Shane Murphy in the first minute. Five minutes later Murphy made it 1-0 to Cookstown after another long range attempt. Cookstown were dominant and raced into a 2-0 lead within fifteen minutes after a great run and finish by captain Iarlaith Donaghy. Another great run by Donaghy almost delivered a third when Thomas Mackle just missed his cross from the right. Lee Glasgow, Dean Bigger and Fernando Silva all had half chances before Newry equalised from an avoidable free kick on 25 minutes. Five minutes later it was all square when Cookstown failed to clear their lines. Right on half time it was 3-2 to Newry when a loose ball in the six yard box wasn’t cleared by the Cookstown defence. Into the second half Newry dominated proceedings winning most of the first and second ball. Cookstown had a couple of chances through Glasgow and Donaghy but despite Cahoon, Wilson and Fraide entering the fray Newry turned their dominance into two more goals despite Mauritio Mauro’s best attempts in goal. A disappointing performance overall especially after racing into an early lead. Thanks to Clive for managing the line with Andy having to ref the fixture.
TEAM: M. Mauro, A. Montgomery, B. Patterson, R. Mullan, J. Wilson, S. Murphy, I. Donaghy, F. Silva, T. Mackle, D. Bigger, L. Glasgow, K. Cahoon, P. Gabrysiak, H. Wilson, H. Fraide.
Newcastle v CTFC 17s
The under 17 won their NI Cup match deservedly after a hard fought game at Newcastle. A quickly taken free kick and a good cross from Tyler Anderson resulted in Ryan McFarland applying a back post finish. Newcastle did not learn their lesson and again alert play from Kaelum Irvine set up Sam Hardy who drilled a magnificent effort into the top corner. Kaelum Irvine missed a great chance for 3-0 but at the other end Adam Scott and Tyler Anderson were strong dealing with the threat in the air with Jack Turkington defending superbly in the centre. Martin McCracken threatened to get behind his opponents defence on numerous occasions and he was unlucky not to get on the scoresheet. Matthew Scott set up Philip Laverty who should have sealed victory but dragged his shot wide.
Markethill Swifts v CYFC 18s.
Goals from  Stevie Arrell , Kyle Devlin , Matty Kelly and Kieffer Scott helped the 18s continue their fantastic run of results in the Mid Ulster Juvenile League and yet another clean sheet for goalkeeper Ben Young . A great team effort from the boys with this emphatic win over Markethill Swifts .
Ballymacash Rangers Reserves v CYFC Reserves.
The Reserves made the journey to Lisburn last Saturday to take on Ballymacash Rangers Reserves in the O’Hara Cup , no easy task as the hosts are three leagues above the Cookstown men. Gareth McElhatton started in goals with a back four of Jack Wilson , Shea McMath, Ryan Rocks and Adam Glasgow , Jordan Glasgow, Jonny O’Neill , Kyle McMullan and Wilson Travers made up the midfield and Stevie Arrell and Ryan O’Neill were the strike force.
A very physical game ensued with both teams attempting to take control and it was the visitors who broke the deadlock after Ryan “Spud” O’Neill  found himself in space and rifled home from the edge of the box. Minutes later Spud was in the clear again only to be stopped illegally by the Rangers keeper who saw red.  Cookstown were looking good with Arrell and Travres torturing the home defence and at the other end Rocks , A Glasgow  and McElhatton were solid. The ten men home team never gave up and equalised before half time to even the game going into the break
The second half was as physical and frantic as the first and both teams continued to press and fight for every ball however it was Rangers who went ahead after McElhatton spilled the ball after initially making a great save and the Ballymacash striker found the net. Moments later McElhatton was called into action again and made a wonder save tipping the ball past his post with an outstretched left hand which even had the sizable home crowd gasping in appreciation. Jonny and Ryan O’Neill both had chances as did substitute Chris Britton but just couldn’t find the net, Ryan Dobson and Matthew Kelly where introduced and played their part in what was very good Cookstown performance.
Joint Managers Kelly and McKenzie were pleased with the effort the lads put in and the home team certainly knew they had been in a game.
Man of The Match was Jordan Glasgow and a big well done to the five u18s players who had already put in a shift for their own team that morning.
Thanks to Ballymacash for the refreshments after the game and we wish them well in the next round.

Cookstown Youth 2 Cookstown RBL 0

Cookstown Youth progressed to the next round of the Canada Cup after a hard fought 2-0 win against local rivals Cookstown RBL.

The RBL had the 1st real good chance to score when Benny Gray broke away from Paul Stewart on the right wing but his shot from inside the box was just wind. The youth then took the lead when Mark Larmour picked up the ball on the right wing and his blistering speed and good ball into the box Found Ali Young who side stepped RBL Defender Donaldson and the fired his shot past his older brother Neal young who was in nets for the RBL for 1-0. RBL almost hit straight back when RBL play maker Booth found Gates with a great pass but his shot was well blocked by Stewart. RBL kept up the pressure for the next 10 minutes and really shot have levelled the match in this period when Ramsay his shot from 10 yards out saved by Donaghy and the O’Neill missed a free header to the relief of the Youth. After this McKenna and McElhatton started to boss the game from the centre of the pitch and chances started to come their way. Ali Young and Mark Megarry linked well to force a good save from Neal Young and from the resulting corner Megarry had a header just wide. Larmour on the right wing was causing the RBL defence alot of problems and on 38 minutes he beat the full back and his cross Come shot hit the crossbar. On 43 minutes the youth should have been two up when Barry Kelly picked the ball up in his own half and a great run into the RBL box were he picked out Ali Young who hit a 1st time shot the hit the post to leave the score 1-0 at the break.

The Youth continued to dominate in the 2nd half and Barrie Kelly again when on a good run on the left wing and his shot was well saved by N Young. The McKenna picked out Ali Young with a good pass but again the RBL keeper pulled of another good save. on 60 minutes Kelly and Young linked well to put in Megarry who hit a good shot from 18 yards out but again Neal Young pulled of a great save with his feet to keep the score at 1-0. RBL were struggling to keep the ball now but they were always a threat from set plays and on 65 minutes Purvis should have level the game when he had a shot from 10 yards out that was just wide. The a few minutes later RBL Winger Ramsay hit a shot from 20 yards out the was just over the bar. Philip McGarvey replaced the hard working McElhatton as the Youth kept up the pressure on the RBL Defence. in a spell of 10 minutes Megarry had no fewer than 4 chances to add to the score but found the RBL Keeper young in great form and hard to beat. Drew Kelly and Keifer Scott where then introduced for the final 15 minutes for Barrie Kelly and Ali Young and from a good pass from John Scott found Drew Kelly and his 1st time shot was just wind. Larmour was now working of the left wing and 3 time left the BRL full back Reid for dead with his speed and picked out Megarry and Scott but again the efforts were wind and saved. On 44 minutes the RBL missed their best chance of the match when Danger man Purvis had a free header and with only the keeper to beat he put it over the bar. The youth then when up the other end and finally got their 2nd goal when Megarry and Scott linked well and found McGarvey how seen his shot saved by young but it came back to him and this time he made no mistake finding the back of the net for 2-0 there was barley time to take the centre and the ref blew time.

Team: L Donaghy, J Scott, J Leslie, G Dardis, P Stewart, J McKenna, D McElhatton, B Kelly, M Larmour, A Young, M Megarry, D Kelly, K Scott, P McGarvey, S McElhatton.



Next Cookstown Youth Football Club BBQ

You might also like

Match Reports From Friday 20/11/15 and Sat 21/11/15

Lisbellaw Utd  3   Cookstown Youth u11s 3 Cookstown Youth win 4-3 on pens Cookstown Youth U11s made the long journey to Lisnaskea last Friday night to take on Lisbellaw Utd

CYFC Update For Last Weekend , Friday 11th , Saturday 12th Dec 2015

SNOW GO FOR CYFC The white stuff was the winner last weekend and it was a white wipe out for all eleven CYFC teams with not a ball kicked ,

Under 12s Beat Local Rivals

CYFC u12s 3 – 1 Dungannon Youth A bright Saturday morning at MUSA saw the first local derby with the CYFC Under 12 team taking on Dungannon Youth. This promised