18th May 2017 807 Views


On Saturday, Cookstown Youth under 11s travelled to Annagh to play their final game of the season against St. Mary’s. It proved to be a very entertaining affair with an incredible 16 goals being scored between the two teams.

Cookstown started brightly with the midfield of Jamie Kerrigan, Peter McLean, Luke Neeson and Tom Wilkinson commanding the area and getting Cookstown a foothold in the game. Peter McLean broke down the right wing and squared the ball and following a scramble, Jack Kearney was on hand to finish into the net. A few minutes later, Kearney scored again after a great run where he beat 2 defenders. The front line of Kearney and James Bell were causing the St. Mary’s defense problems, and it was after some great work from James Bell that allowed Peter McLean to place well into the bottom corner. Bell himself got onto the scoresheet with a neat finish from close range, which was followed almost immediately by a wonder strike from McLean to increase Cookstown’s advantage. The defense of Gary Simpson and Dylan Hamilton, with captain Jack McClure instructing them well, were preventing any chances being creating. However St. Mary’s got themselves on the scoresheet with an absolute thunderbolt from a free kick which gave McClure no chance.

Changes were made at half time with Conall Sheehy and Luke McElkennon coming on in defense, Matej Kluka and Chris Ward taking over from Kerrigan and Neeson in midfield and Tom Bell replacing Kearney up front. Cookstown again started well as they had in the first half and created many chances. One of these fell to James Bell who calmly placed the ball into the bottom corner of the net. St. Mary’s got themselves into a lot of great scoring positions and were rewarded as their striker fired a wicked shot low into the corner which McClure could do nothing about. Cookstown responded immediately with some wonderful play up the wings from McLean and Ward allowing Matej Kluka and Tom Bell to score well. St. Mary’s were not backing down however and attacked the Cookstown resulting in another 2 goals. The scoring was not done as Kluka added his second with a smart finish at the near post, followed by another McLean rocket into the roof of the net. St. Mary’s free kick maestro responded with another peach into the top corner leaving McClure again with no chance whatsoever. The scoring was finally wrapped as Luke Neeson went on one of his trademark runs and finished into the bottom corner to complete a good win for Cookstown and a remarkable game.

It has been a brilliant first season for the under 11s with both players, management and parents alike all enjoying every single moment of our first year together. However the year isn’t over as the Under 11s are in action this Saturday 6th May at the MUYL Festival Day at Kernan Playing Fields.

Squad: Jack McClure  (C), Gary Simpson, Dylan Hamilton, Tom Wilkinson, Peter McLean, Luke Neeson, Jamie Kerrigan, James Bell, Jack Kearney, Chris Ward, Conall Sheehy, Luke McElkennon, Tom Bell, Matej Kluka

CYFC 14s v Dungannon Colts
Cookstown Youth U14’s played local rivals Dungannon Colts at MUSA on Friday evening. The home team started the game confidently creating early chances to score although Dungannon scored first against the run of play from a swift counter attack. Cookstown equalised soon after with a great strike from G.Cahoon, the home team took the lead midway through the first half with a goal from M.Ekiert. G.Cahoon made it three when he fired past the keeper after a great layoff from S.Taylor. With the Cookstown defence of A.Devlin, S.Taylor, C.Ballentine and J.Martin in front of goalkeeper A.Taylor winning the exchanges and the midfield of G.Cahoon, C.Davidson, J.Young and T.Davidson, controlling play with strikers M.Ekiert and L.Henry further goals for Cookstown from J.Young and M.Ekiert ensured a comfortable win for Cookstown.
Final Score: – CYFC 6 – Dungannon Colts 2
CYFC u16s 3 Tandragee 2
Last Saturday the 2001’s faced Tandragee Rovers in the penultimate game of their MUYL season after their cup final win the previous Saturday. Despite the absence of several players over the Bank Holiday weekend the Whites started brightly with Shane Murphy’s powerful drive from distance just curling wide on 6 minutes. Lee Glasgow went close on two occasions over the next five minutes including hitting the woodwork before driving an unstoppable shot into the top corner of the net to take the lead on 14 minutes. A great run and shot by Jake Fraser looked to have doubled the lead but the fierce shot struck the woodwork on 25 minutes. Into the second half Cookstown doubled their lead after good work from Glasgow opened the door for Murphy to strike home from 25 yards on 45 minute. Somehow Tandragee got back into the game scoring directly from a corner 10 minutes later.  Ben McErlean was joined by debutant Zak McMenemy midway through the second half with Tandragee starting to dominate possession and create a few opportunities. Good work from Murphy again opened the door for Glasgow to hit his second on the game on 60 minutes. Five minutes later a speculative shot from distance by Tandragee ended up in the back of the net but despite a little bit of tension towards the end the homesters Cookstown ran out deserved victors and secured fourth place with a chance of third with one game remaining on Tuesday 9 May at home to Dungannon KO 7.30pm.

You might also like


CYFC u16s 2 Newry 0 Last Saturday the 2001’s faced Newry in a must win league cup fixture to continue participation in the cup competition. With Newry drawing with cup

U12 Youth Win League Cup

A glorious afternoon at Lurgan Town arena saw the CYFC u 12 Youth team take on Armagh City in the Final of the League Cup. This was an eagerly awaited


Cookstown Youth U12s v Loughgall U12s MUYL Plate Final 2016 Cookstown Youth U12s hit the road on Saturday with venue being Lurgan Town Arena to face Loughgall U12s in the