CYFC Youth U12s defeated Armagh City Eagles

CYFC Youth U12s hosted Armagh City Eagles last Saturday morning and recorded a very one sided victory. The Cookstown lads started the brightest and took the lead early on through David Monaghan. Shortly after a fine move involving Harry Bownes,Shea Mc Cann, Kai Lamont and Keegan Hampsey found Michael Mc Elhatton who despatched the ball to the back of the net. Scott Gillis in the Cookstown goal was a virtual spectator throughout the first half with good defending from Ben Mc Adoo, Harry Bownes and Kristian Levsins keeping the visitors at bay.Just before the half time whistle another David Monaghan and a Ryan Nugent goal gave the home side a comfortable half time lead. The second half followed a similar pattern to the first with Cookstown Youth on the front foot and further goals from Shea Mc Cann,Keegan Hampsey,David Monaghan and Ryan Nugent adding to their tally. A small lapse of concentration in the back line allowed Armagh City Eagles to pull a goal back. However the Cookstown boys weren’t finished themselves and further goals from David Monaghan,Ryan Nugent and Michael Mc Elhatton finished what was a comfortable day for the Cookstown boys.

Team Scott Gillis, Harry Bownes, Kristian Levsins, Ben Mc Adoo, Shea Mc Cann, Michael Mc Elhatton, David Monaghan, Kai Lamont, Keegan Hampsey, Ryan Nugent

Lurgan Town v CYFC u13s (MUYL)

Away for Cookstown this week again but they were up for it. After the disappointment of last week they had something to prove.

A few changes to the line up saw Heagney on the left wing which was immediate with a well timed pass from Adems in leftback to Devlin in centre then into the path Heagney then into the back of the net. Cookstown were on top from the word go with a hatrick for Heagney and Derby 2 for Armstrong 1 for Jeffers and Harvey. Man of the match Heagney.

Cyfc 10 -2 Lurgan town.

Heagney, Armstrong, Harvey, Leek,Jeffers, Monaghan, Whitten, Devlin,Mccann, Greame,Mcvey Morrison O’Neill, Adems and Darby

CYFC 14s v Dungannon Utd Yth

Cookstown Youth U14’s played Dungannon Youth in the second round of the League Cup at Fairhill Playing Fields, Cookstown on Saturday. Cookstown began the game well, taking control in midfield, dominating possession, creating chances and were unlucky not to score. A quick break saw the visitors take the lead midway through the first half; Dungannon scored another soon after when a cross was not dealt with by the Cookstown defence.  Cookstown began the second half confidently hitting the post and crossbar but unable to find the net. With the home team pushing forward, the visitors launched a counter attack to score again.

Final Score: – Cookstown 0 – Dungannon Youth 4


CYFC u16s 4 Armagh 3 Last Saturday the 2001’s faced Armagh in a MUYL fixture at Fairhill, hoping to avenge a 4-1 defeat in the opening game of the season. With the team at full strength and playing in a new formation Cookstown totally controlled the first half. Lee Glasgow, Thomas Mackle and Iarlaith Donaghy all tested the Armagh keeper in the opening minutes. On 9 minutes captain Donaghy powered past 3 defenders to power home the opener from fifteen yards. Armagh came more into the game but the back five of Gault, Bigger, Mullan, Patterson, McErlean and Cahoon were resolute in their task with Fernando Silva pulling the strings in midfield. Donaghy had a couple of more half chances before Glasgow struck home from twelve yards after good work from Murphy. Into the second half Cookstown lost their focus and urgency allowing Armagh to get right back into the game with two avoidable goals on 40 and 49 minutes. Armagh grew in believe and struck home from a very debatable free quick to take the lead on 55 minutes. With time running out Thomas Mackle came on again after a break to snatch two terrific goals right at the death. The first came from a great through ball from Shane Murphy when Mackle dinked the advancing Armagh keeper from 25 yards. The second was a combination of passes between Piotr Gabrysiak and Murphy with the through ball allowing Mackle to race through, round the keeper and strike home the winner in dramatic fashion with 3 minutes to go. In between Keelan Gault made a fantastic save with his legs to deliver Cookstown a fantastic win. Unfortunately the gloss of the win was marred by the reaction and loss of control of both Armagh players and spectators after the final whistle. Apologies to Harry Wilson from the management team on the day and unused subs Malik Hodgson and Joseph Wilson. TEAM: K. Gault, R. Mullan, B. Patterson, B. McErlean, K. Cahoon, D. Bigger, I. Donaghy, S. Murphy, F. Silva, T. Mackle, L. Glasgow, A. Montgomery, J. Fraser, P. Gabrysiak, M. Hodgson, J. Wilson.


U17 Northern Ireland Cup Glentoran 3-0 Cookstown Youth


Glentoran started on the front foot and scored after 7 minutes as Jack Turkington headed the back backwards and keeper Jamie Campbell lost his bearings and couldn’t keep the ball out. However the keeper more than made up for it by producing several saves diving full length to divert away. Cookstown played their possession game to reasonable effect and had several attacking flurries with Tom Black having an effort on goal. A fiercely struck free kick made it 2-0 and Cookstown reached the half time satisfied with a solid enough display. Glentoran continued to push for more goals but the defence of Matthew Scott, Kaelum Irvine, Sam Hardy and Jack Turkington coped resolutely and in front of this Ryan McFarland worked hard tracking back and was a good outlet for his team mates to run at Glentoran`s full back. Matthew Scott got into a decent position but rushed when he had more time and with the final action it became 3-0 with a good cross and header. A spirited display up against a very good side with several players also unavailable. It`s back to action in the Mid-Ulster Youth league cup this weekend for the boys.


Cookstown youth 1 Rathcoole 1

CYFC 1st took on Belfast side Rathcoole at the Arena last Saturday and were disappointed to only come away with a point.

Cookstown started the stronger of the two team with Danny McElhatton and Johnny McKenna taking control of the mid-field early on and it was a great 30 yard pass from Danny that found Ryan O’Neill on the left, O’Neill busted into the box but instead of shooting himself he tried to pass the ball to Megarry but the defender made a great block and the danger was cleared. Megarry then had a great chance himself from inside the 6 yard box but again let the defender get back and make the tackle when maybe a quicker shot with his left boot was the better option. With Cookstown well on top the Belfast side started to turn nasty with some very poor tackles in an attempt to try and unsettle the home team and on 20 minutes a shocking tackle on Danny McElhatton by the Rathcoole right back left McElhatton in serious pain and he had to be replaced be Dardis, Danny was then taken to hospital to get an ex-ray on his ankle but thankfully nothing was broken. The home team had to reshuffle the team with Steven McElhatton going into Mid-Field and Dardis coming on to partner Paul Stewart, and the home side continued to press the Belfast side and on 28 minutes Drew Kelly was put through but his 1st touch took him wide and give and the keeper made a great save from his shot, a few minutes later it was strike partner Megarry who again was denied by the inform keeper, on 32minute Rathcoole had their 1st chance of the match but the striker blasted wide when he should have done much better from 12 yards out. Again the tackles started flying in from the away side and once more a very bad tackle on McKenna resulted in the dynamic playmaker having to go of injured and was replaced in centre mid by U18s player Ryan Rocks. with the home team  unsettled  Rathcoole took the lead when 1st Dardis and then Stewart missed headers the sticker found himself one on one with keeper Donaghy and made to mistake to put his side 1-0 up just before the break.

After the half time team talk the home side took the game to Rathcoole and a good move ended with Barrie Kelly’s shot hitting the crossbar. Cookstown then got back on level terms when left back James Leslie went on a great run down the left and his great cross was met by Mark Megarry who scored into the far corner of the net for 1-1. it was once more now the home team controlling the match but their finishing was letting them down time and time again. Kelly, Megarry, O’Neill and Rocks all had great chance to score but either wasteful shots or good goalkeeping kept the score the same. on 75 minutes Rocks then won the ball on the left and went on a great run into the box but with players better placed in  the box the young mid-fielder shot hit the side netting. a few minutes later a well worked free kick found Dardis at the back post and his header across goal was going straight to the unmarked O’Neill for a tap in from 4 yards out but he completely misjudged the ball and failed to control it and the best chance of the match went a begging, at the other end Rathcoole had a free kick well saved by Donaghy and his quick ball released Glasgow on the right wing who found Drew Kelly but ones more the away keeper pulled of a great save. with only a few minutes remaining Ryan Rocks again burst into the box and this time squared the ball but Rathcoole put their bodies in the way and blocked the shot from Kelly and grab a point when they really deserved nothing.

Team L Donaghy, J Glasgow, J Leslie, P Stewart, S McElhatton, D McElhatton, B Kelly, J McKenna, M Megarry, D Kelly, R O’Neill,  R Rocks, G Dardis, J Wilson

Manager Niall Hunter Commented after the match: The lads are all disappointed today with a point and know themselves that it should have been all 3. I have to say I was very disappointed with the refs performance and he did not give our guys much protection from some of the worst tackles I have seen all season. the ones on Danny and Johnny were horrendous and they were both lucky not to break any bones. the one on Danny the Ref said the player went for the ball but Danny was just too quick for him. Quick or not the player did not get near the ball and he had his studs showing and it was a minimum yellow but the ref did not even give him that. I just hope the two lads are not out of the game long.
Rathfriland Swifts Res v CYFC Res

Cookstown Youth Reserves travelled to Rathfriland Swifts Reserves in their latest league encounter with high hopes following two straight defeats. With the game not too old Cookstown had two shots cleared off the line Jonny O’Neill and Wilson Travres then from a Jonny O’Neill corner Matthew Kelly struck at the near post. Surely things were looking up. Virtually from the kick off Rathfriland struck back with the forward running onto a deflection and slotting passes keeper Gareth McElhatton. Rathfriland took the lead when their forward took advantage of the ball getting caught under Shay McMaths foot. After 35 minutes Cookstown were dealt a blow with McMath having to be replaced due to injury. Adam Keane dropped back and Stevie Arrell took up the midfield position. Cookstown continued to push with Adam Glasgow and Wilson down the right and the Cameron McMullan and Kyle McMullan down the left but just before half time Rathfriland made it 3-1. Cookstown started the second half a lot better, trying to break down the disciplined opposition who were happy sitting and going on the break. On the hour saw Miguel Alin replace Chris Britton up front and a short time later Declan O’Neill replace K McMullan. Rathfriland once again hit on the break when a mis-communication between keeper Gareth McElhatton and David Millar ended with the forward saying thanks and rolling the ball home to make it 4-1

Finally a break came for Cookstown in the last 10 minutes when a cross to the back post was met by D O’Neill. A few minutes later a through ball from J O’Neill toAlin seen the score reduced to 4-3.In the last minute J O’Neill saw a free kick hit the post. Despite continues pressure Rathfriland held out.

Joint Managers McKenzie and Kelly were disappointed with the result. A Kelly said it was a poor performance, lack of ball control and poor passing really damaged our chances. It was a poor performance all round. McKenzie added that it would appear we are the authors of our current poor form as teams now seem happy to sit back against us and take their chances on the break.
All round we can pick it up again. A break from the league next week due to cup commitments.


You might also like

Great Performance From The U17s

CYFC u17s 6 Armagh City Youth 2 Last Saturday the newly formed combo of 2002 and 2001 players secured their first win in dramatic fashion in the Mid-Ulster Youth League

28/09/18 – CYFC Match Reports

MOYOLA 2009’s Tournament 29/09/18 Sunday saw CYFC 2009’s take the short trip to Castledawson to take part in Moyola Park 2009 tournament. With 2 teams entered the coaches & kids

Senior Team Pre-season Kicks Off

As you are all aware CYFC are entering into an exciting chapter in the clubs history with the formation of a senior adult team , competing in the Ballymena League