2nd March 2017 1321 Views


St Marys 1-3 CYFC 13s (MUYL)
The last time these two teams meet was a stale mate at 1-1. It looked to be going the same way with 0-0 going in after

 the first half. The Cookstown team missed out from going ahead with some slick passing from Heagney,O’Neill and Mccallin and Adems onto to the paths of Darby and Armstrong countless times . It was only a matter of time.
The second half started the same dominant display this time with our first half stand in goalie Leek out field and Darby had to fill the goalie gloves and Hughes  up front and Harvey on the right. The defence Morrison, Jeffers,Whitten and Mccann held strong allday. Cyfc finally broke through with a one two with  Devlin and Armstrong and at last goal.
Mccallin and Jeffers had there one two minutes later.
Man of the match has to go to Mccallin who ran the mid field.
CYFC U13s 4-2 Dungannon United Youth ( National League )

Cookstown came out on top in a brilliant local derby to back up last week’s superb win. Missing the influential Michael Forbes, the boys knew they had to start fast and did so. McNally played a lovely through ball to talisman Shea O’Hare who finished well inside one minute. It was two shortly after when the same pair combined again to leave O’Hare one on one and he calmly slotted home. It was still a fragile lead but the midfield of O’Donnell, Ferguson and Kane were working hard to close the space while O’Hare, Donnelly, Hurl and Devlin were sticking to their tasks. Murphy had a good chance to make it three but his shot was well saved. Monaghan made some good saves for Cookstown to keep the score at 2-0 at half time.
The second half saw Dungannon have large passages of play but found Monaghan a tough nut to crack. The home team brought on Larmour, Donaghy and Devlin to add fresh legs and it was Larmour who scored the third. A corner wasn’t cleared properly and Larmour reacted quickest to put it over the line. However this made Dungannon hungrier and they grabbed two quick goals to put the onus on Cookstown to see the game out. The game was finally won when O’Hare’s free kick rattled the bar before bouncing down and back towards the goal line. Larmour was chasing in again and a combination of both resulted in the goal to seal the game at 4-2. Monaghan made a great save with his feet before Donnelly cleared to ensure a stress free final few minutes. The boys entertain Coleraine at home in a quarter final next week.
Squad: Monaghan Devlin Donnelly O’Hare Hurl O’Hare Kane O’Donnell Ferguson McNally Murphy Donaghy Larmour Devlin
MOTM: Shea O’Hare and Callan Devlin. Both lead their team superbly.

CYFC 14s v Mountjoy Utd.
Cookstown Youth U14’s played Mountjoy United at Omagh Leisure Centre on Saturday. Cookstown settled quickly and were soon creating chances to score; Cookstown deservedly took the lead 10 minutes into the match when G.Cahoon intercepted a Mountjoy throw-in, played an immediate through ball to M.Ekiert who placed the ball beyond the keeper. The away team kept up the pressure and scored again when a throw-in by A.Devlin was picked up by M.Ekiert who turned the defender and fired home. Cookstown kept up the momentum early in the second half and it was J.Donnell who scored next with a wonderful headed goal from a J.Young corner kick. Mountjoy pulled a goal back midway through the second half when they scored from a corner, this gave them confidence and they scored again soon after but it Cookstown who completed the scoring when J.Smith won and converted a penalty kick in the final minutes.
Team: – A.Taylor, A.Devlin, J.Donnell, C.Ballentine, J.Martin, C.Davidson, S.Taylor, J. Young, G.Cahoon, T.Davidson, J.Smith, L.Henry, M.Ekiert, M.McAlynn  
Final Score: – CYFC 4 – Mountjoy Utd 2
CYFC 15s v Rathfriland Youth.
Cookstown where back in league action this week with an away trip to Rathfriland. Cookstown started the game slowly and couldn’t get into a rhythm of playing, the lead came unexpectly when a break found E. O’Neill free on the right who slotted the ball into the far bottom corner. The home side took advantage of the poor start and equalised from a corner. The home side then took the lead when they where awarded a penalty mid way through the first half. Cookstown started the second half the better of the two sides and found the equaliser when quick feet from C. McGonigle allowed him a one on one with the keeper who slotted past him. In a relatively even second half Cookstown took the lead when A. Traill rushed onto a through ball to slot the ball into the back of the net. As the second continued Rathfriland continued to press and eventually got their equaliser in the final few minutes of the game.

E. Donnelly, D. Banas, C. Robb, J. Glendinning, P. Monaghan, J. McElkennon, A. Trail, B. Tereso, E. O’Neill, A. Levsins, C. McGonigle, L. Patterson, J. Donnelly, S. Coleman, D. Devlin

CYFC u16s 6 Armagh City 7 (after extra time and pens)
Last Saturday the 2001’s faced arch rivals Armagh City in the Mid-Ulster KO Cup competition at Holm Park 3G. In the absence of captain Donaghy and defender Cahoon  the coaching team re-shuffled the pack with Joseph and Harry Wilson in the starting eleven. Armagh started the sharper after a mediocre warm up by the Cookstown boys and raced into the lead on 9 minutes after a headed corner from their big centre back. Glasgow then went close 2 minutes later and was thwarted by a great save on 15 minutes after a tremendous save from 15 yards by the blues keeper. Good work by Glasgow on 20 minutes then delivered the equaliser as Cookstown began to dominate possession in midfield with Murphy, Bigger and Silva putting in a great shift. Murphy and Bigger both went close with free kicks from distance with the game remaining 1-1 at the break. Armagh again started well with the wind on their backs with the back 3 of Patterson, Mullan and Joseph Wilson having to be at their best to withstand Armagh’s physical strength. On the hour mark Glasgow pounced on a sublime chipped pass from Harry Wilson to take a deserved lead from 10 yards. Gabrysiak and Mauro both entered the fray with Mauro spurning 2 great chances as he got to grips with the pace of the game. Armagh equalised with 10 minutes remaining when Cookstown failed to clear their box with the first attempt leaving Gault no chance in goal. Gabrysiak then had a couple of great runs and crosses from the right before Armagh drove inches over the bar from a free right at the death. Into extra time both teams had half chances but right at the death the Armagh keeper somehow smothered a chance from Mackle from 12 yards to take the game to penalties. Despite goals from Harry Wilson, Murphy, Bigger and Mackle, Cookstown exited the competition missing out with their sudden death penalty.
TEAM: K.Gault, B. Patterson, R. Mullan, J. Wilson, A. Montgomery, H. Wilson, F. Silva, D. Bigger, S. Murphy, T. Mackle, L. Glasgow, P. Gabrysiak, M. Mauro, J. Fraser, M. Hodgson.
CYFC 16s before their game with Armagh City 18.02.2017
CYFC Seniors were back in league action last Sat when they traveled to Belfast to take on Whiteabbey fc. CYFC had the first scoring opportunity when the Whiteabbey cleared the ball of the line from Larmour. Whiteabbey did open the scoring on the 12th minute when Leslie was dispossessed with the ball and the Whiteabbey forward seen McEllhatton of his line and hit a shot which sailed into the CYFC goal. The Cookstown defence were all sixes and sevens and again Whiteabbey took advantage when Stewart failing to control the ball managed to foul the Whiteabbey forward and the ref pointed for a penalty. Whiteabbey extended their lead to 2.0 from the resulting penalty and CYFC had alot of work to do. Within 2 minutes Cookstown got on the score sheet when from a cross by Scott the Whiteabbey keeper spilled the ball at the fet of Megarry ang he tapped the ball into the net.O,Neill had a freekick for CYFC but his effort went wide. CYFC were awarded a penalty when Larmour was fouled in the box but Megarry failed to score from the resulting spot kick. Whiteabbey pushed in the attack and again found the Cookstown defence static and were able to get in around the back 4 and shoot past McEllhatton in the CYFC goal to make it 3.1 to the local side. Goals were starting to fly in when within a minute of conceeding CYFC scored themselves when again the Whitebbey keeper fumbled a high cross and it was O,Neill who had the easy task of tapping the ball into the hosts net. On 35 minutes came the the goal of the game when O,Neill hit a rocket from the corner of the box high into the Whiteabbey net to level up th scoring at 3.3. With only minutes left of the first half CYFC were able to hit the Whiteabbey twice in quick succession. Mcmenemey who had scored 4 goals the previous week got himself on the end of McKennas shot and steered it into the goal. Next Danny McEllhatton found Larmour with a sublime pass and the youngster chested the ball down and volleyed into the Whiteabbey goal to take the visitors into half time with a 3.5 lead.
With all the excitement of the first half the second half had alot to live up to. Whitetabbey did start the more livelier when on the 47th minute they seen their corner cleared from the CYFC line. Megarry thought that he had got unto the score sheet again but the referee adjudged the big forward to be offside when there was a Whiteabbey defender on the goal line.Both teams were pushing for more goals and each team had several half decent chances. Jack Wilson was putting in a solid performance after coming on for the injured Leslie. On  the 70th minute Stewart was sent off for  CYFC when he managed  to foul the Whiteabbey attacker in the box and the referee pointed to the penalty spot and also brandished the red card to Stewart . Again McEllhatton in the CYFC goal had no chance from the penalty and the score was now 4.5. With only 10 men CYFC manager made 2 substitutions when he brought on Kelly and Keane . Kelly made an immediate impact as from one of his throws it found Megarry in the box and the big forward showed plenty of skill in controlling the ball and shooting past the Whiteabbey keeper to extend the lead to 4.6 to CYFC. Megarry rounded off the scoring when from a Wilson throw he turned and shot into the Whiteabbey goal to make the final score on the day Whiteabbey 4 CYFC Seniors 7.
This Sat 25th feb CYFC Seniors continue their defence of the Canada Cup when the travel to Foundry Lane in Ballyclare to take on the team the beat in the final 3rd Ballyclare old boys.
G McEllhatton, Scott,Leslie,Stewart, S McEllhatton, Mckenna , D McEllhatton, Larmour, O,Neill, Megarry Mcmenemey
Kelly,Keane Wilson

Sporting Lisburn 1 CYFC Reserves 6

Cookstown Youth Reserves travelled to Lisburn to play Sporting Lisburn in their latest encounter of the season.

The game started at a good pace with CYFC pushing from the start. After just 2 minutes a ball from Jack Turkinton found Ali Young who in turn fed Stevie Arrell who tucked it away for an early lead.

Cookstown continued to dominate the first half which saw chances go begging for Young, Arrell, Drew Kelly, Kyle Devlin and Adam Bell.

Sporting did produce some chances. A number of free kicks were dealt with by Darren Mc Kernan who also superbly pushed a goal bound shot over the bar.

The back four of Matthew Stewart, Bell, Conal Kilpatrick and Turkinton were dealing with any threat from Sporting.

Devlin and Kyle McMullan were tormenting the Sporting backs whilst the midfield pairing of brothers D Kelly and Matthew Kelly were easily a match to a physical Sporting midfield.

The first half ended 1-0 to CYFC Res.

Cookstown took to the pitch for the second half with determination to finish the game off and within 5 minutes a through ball to Arrell saw him look up and lob the keeper from 25 yards to put CYFC Res 2-0 up. A short time later in a 4 minute spell the game was effectively finished it off with Arrell netting his hat-trick and Delvin finishing well from a throw in, when he turned his man and shot low into the far corner.

A number of changes were made with Ryan Dobson slotting into the midfield in place of M Kelly, Luis Herrmann in place of Ali Young and Luke Johnston on for Devlin.

With 10 minutes left Herrmann put in Arrell for his fourth, Sporting grabbed a consolation before Herrrmann slotted home in the last minute to leave to final score 6-1 to CYFC Reserves

Joint Manager Noel McKenzie said this was a great performance and fantastic result. Credit must go to all the lads for their teamwork and perseverance today. Big thanks for Andy Warwick’s assistance today.

Joint Manager N McKenzie said that whilst Stevie Arrell is a must for man of the match I would have to give a joint one as Big C was solid at the heart of the defence today.

Stevie Arrell who scored 4 for the Reserves agaianst Sporting Lisburn

The annual CYFC Table Quiz takes place on Saturday 11th March 2017 in the Royal Hotel kicking off at 8pm. Teams of up to six quizzers will be made very welcome so come along for a great nights banter and craic

You might also like


Final Score: – Cookstown 10 – TTBS 1 Cookstown Youth U14’s played TTBS at MUSA on Saturday. With the home team playing into a very strong wind, it was a

Under 14s March On In Cup

CYFC u14s 6-0 Kildrum Tigers Cookstown entertained Donegal side Kildrum in the NIBFA Cup on Saturday determined to put in another good performance. They started slowly and were pinned back

The Picks Are In For LMS

The next round of picks are in for the clubs Last Man Standing, click on the link below and see what you think!   Last Man Standing Picks