CYFC 18s 3  Rossario 1
Cookstown got off to a great start in the quarter final of the Harry Cavan cup, taking the lead inside a minute. James Kilpatrick slid Mark Larmour in and the striker showed great composure to finish from close range. Larmour then turned provider for Kilpatrick who made no mistake in slotting the ball under the keeper to make it 2-0 inside 5 minutes. Cookstown looked good value for their lead and added a third when Kieffer Scott volleyed home from the edge of the box. Rosario came out fighting in the second half but Cookstowns defence held firm, and there seemed to be no way through for the Belfast side. That was until the referee pointed to the spot and produced a red card for Ronan Hughes, whos foul looked to be outside the box. Ben Young saved the penalty but could do nothing about the rebound and Rosario were back in the game. the 10 men of Cookstown fought hard to see out the game with Adam Keane and Jack Wilson in the centre of defence answering every question asked of them. A 3-1 victory against a strong Rosario team sees Cookstown advance to the semi final of the competition where they will face either Dungannon or Ballinamallard.
CYFC 18s

Cookstown Youth 2 Sport & Leisure swifts 1

CYFC 1st travelled to Belfast to take on Sport & Leisure in the League and came away with all the point in a match played in very wet and windy conditions.

Cookstown had the 1st chance of the match when Steven McElhatton spilt the defence with a great pass to find Drew Kelly and with only the keeper to beat Kelly’s poor shot was easily saved by the home keeper. The front pairing of the home team were always very lively and making good runs and really should have done better on 15 minutes when the striker was well placed inside the box but shot over. on 20 minutes Cookstown again had a good move with again Kelly with the final shot that was over the bar. The home side were getting on top and had 4 attempts on goal but all went a begging. on the half hour make they got the break through when the striker was found on the left and his good cross was finished at the front post by his partner up front for 1-0. it should have been 2-0 minutes later when again the two forward players combined to get a shot past McElhatton in goal but Paul Stewart did great work to get back and clear the ball of the line. Cookstown had a great chance on 40 mins to get back on level term when Steven McElhatton picked out Ali Young in the box but the striker shot straight at the Keeper. in the final minutes of the half the home team again pressured the Cookstown defence but could not add to the score.

Cookstown started much better in the 2nd half but with the conditions getting worst with the driving rain it was hard to string a few passes together and the ball was running through to the keeper. The home team were now very dangerous on the break now and McElhatton pulled of a great save on 55 minutes to keep the score at 1-0. on the next attack Danny McElhatton found Kelly wind right and the winger this thing put in a great cross that was well defended and cleared for a corner. On 55 minutes Johnny O’Neill was replaced by Ryan O’Neill and with the next goal kick George Dardis won and header and put through Mark Megarry who made no mistake to bring the game level at 1-1. Mathew Heagney was the introduced for Drew Kelly and Cookstown started to dominate with Ryan O’Neill causing the home team alot of problem with his great delivery from free kick and corners. at one stage Cookstown had 5 corners in a row but could not get the ball over the line. on 65 minutes Cookstown got in front when Danny McElhatton put through Megarry again and once more the big forward made no mistake for 2-1. Cookstown were once more made to work very hard all over the pitch to keep their lead and the Back 4 of Barrie Kelly, Paul Stewart, George Dardis and James Leslie all had to be at the best to keep the home team out with McElhatton in goals in good form also. On 70 minutes Young almost added to the score from another O’Neill corner but his front post header shaved the post. Philip McGarvey replaced Ali young on 75 minutes and they should have put the game to bed a few minutes later when O’Neill on the right found Heagney in the box but with only the keeper to beat from 6 yards out he shot straight at the keeper and the danger was cleared. The home team kept pushing Cookstown and on 85 minutes a good move was well saved again by McElhatton. the next attempt on goal fell to Heagney again when O’Neill took a free kick from 30 yards out and Heagney volleyed the ball goal wards from 6 yards out but the keeper pulled of a great save to push it over the bar. Cookstown had a number of corners after this as they seen out the game from a great but very hard fought win against a good side.

Team: G McElhatton, B Kelly, J Leslie, G Dardis, P Stewart, S McElhatton, D Kelly, D McElhatton, M Megarry, A Young, J O’Neill, M Heagney, R O’Neill, P McGarvey, L Donaghy

Mark Megarry


You might also like


CYFC u16s 2 Newry 0 Last Saturday the 2001’s faced Newry in a must win league cup fixture to continue participation in the cup competition. With Newry drawing with cup

Jordan Scott memorial 5 a-side

On Saturday 20th June our club held the annual Jordan Scott memorial 5 a-side, below is a word from one of the organisers Andy Warwick: On behalf of Gerry, Scotty

Last Man Standing Heads Into Week 3

CYFC Last Man Standing Competition Week 2 Results, click on the link below to see the Week 2 Fallers and who remains in the competition. We would like to thank