20/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

20/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

CYFC U10s were defeated Carninny U10s

Saturday 20th October had CYFC U10s against Ballymena side Carninny in the young sizzlers first ever NIBFA cup match. Being one of the youngest sides in the competition both coaches & players knew this game would be a tough encounter, but with the young lads playing some good football anything could happen. CYFC began the match the brighter of the sides & soon settled into their high pressing game, putting Carninny on the back foot in the opening 15 mins. Gabrysiak & Moore both had half chances in these stages but the Carninny keeper was equal to anything thrown at him. Then after some good closing down by Ortzel & Campbell, Campbell unleashed one of his trade mark long range shots which bounced awkwardly in front of the Carninny keeper who could do nothing to stop it from smashing into the back of the net to give CYFC the lead.

Now full of confidence & having a 1 goal cushion the young sizzlers continued to press Carninny into their own half with Moore on the right giving the Carninny defence all sorts of problems with his lightening pace & crosses. The Centre midfield duo of Campbell & Ortzel were snuffing out the Carninny attacks & again Gabrysiak & Levsins this time both had shots on target but the Carninny keeper was equal to them. Then from a long clearance Carninny broke through & beat some last ditch defending from Smyth & Mcmullan to slide the ball under Wilkinson to level the score with 5 mins remaining in the half.

Both teams now through caution to the wind & went at each other & once again Campbell struck another long range shot which cannoned off the crossbar but levsins was there following up to blast the ball into the Carninny net to give CYFC the lead at the end of the half.

The 2nd half started much as the first had ended CYFC on the attack & Carninny defending for their lives. Moore, Levsins & Gabrysiak all combining well but lacked the killer ball to increase the lead. Mcgurk had came on to tighten up the CYFC defence & both he & Moore combined well on the right to open u some space for levsins to take a shot which again hit the cross bar but Gabrysiak’s follow up went narrowly wide of the post. Carninny did have some attacks but Donnelly on the left of defence along with Mcmullan in the centre put their tackles in at the right time & kept Carninny chances to a bare minimum with Wilkinson having very little to do in the CYFC goals. A break out from CYFC after some Carninny pressure had Levsins cross the ball into Moore who at full stretch saw his diving header skim over the bar. With 5 minutes to go Carninny pressure mounted & had a series of 4 corners & from the last corner their tall defender rose above the CYFC defence & he powered home to level the score & take the game into penalties.

Carninny then won on penalties putting CYFC out of the NIBFA cup & into the NIBFA shield.

The boys can all be extremely proud of their performance this week. They are the under dogs in every game due to their age but they continue to progress massively with every game & today their attitude & team spirit carried them all right to the end. To go out on penalties was quite an achievement & they should all be very proud!

Team: Wilkinson, Donnelly, Mcmullan, Smyth, Mcgurk, Ortzel, Campbell (c), Moore, Levsins, Gabrysiak.

MOM:  Campbell

CYFC u11s defeated Banbridge Rangers 

Last Saturday the 2008’s faced fellow MUYL rivals Banbridge Rangers in the preliminary round of the NIBFA Cup at MUSA 3G. With comprehensive wins over Lurgan and Armagh in recent weeks Cookstown began the game full of confidence. In the opening two minutes Long nodded just wide from a corner with McElhatton going close with a great drive. Wilson tested the Rangers keeper on 4 minutes as Cookstown tried to force the opener. McElhatton hit the woodwork twice a minute later before a great through ball from Ferson was converted by striker Wilson to make it 1-0. A long punt from keeper Patterson was bravely nodded home by Wilson to double the lead on 10 minutes. A wonderful acrobatic scissor kick from Long made it three on 11 minutes before a thunderous drive and then a deft finish from McElhatton made it 5-0 on 14 and 21 minutes. Talbot then went close just before half time. Into the second half Kelso was unlucky to see a powerful header slip over the bar as the Whites continued to dominate. Donnelly made it a super six on 38 minutes with a clinical finish. Mulgrew just missed the target from a Donnelly corner a minute later. Great play between Mulgrew and Kelso  led to fine finish from Wilson on the edge of the box for his hat trick on 42 minutes. A great pass from Donnelly 3 minutes later found Wilson who was on fire to make it 8 goals to the good. 0’Neill then had a good shot well saved in the dying minutes. Away to Hillsborough Boys in the next round of the NIBFA Cup next Saturday.

TEAM: B. Patterson, E. Long, E. Irwin, J.Ferson, A. McElhatton, H. McKenzie, J.Donnelly, I. Kelso, J. Wilson, B. Mulgrew, J. Price, L. O’Neill, C. Talbot.

CYFC u16s 4-0 TTBS 

Cookstown Youth U15’s travelled to Lurgan, to play TTBS in the Mid Ulster Youth League on Saturday. A competitive opening saw both teams create chances, with neither side able to convert them.  As the half went on, Cookstown began to dominate but had to wait until the thirtieth minute to take the lead through Mattie Ekiert. Cookstown doubled their lead early in the second half when a great pass from Daniel Barfoot found Jamie Smith in space who placed his shot beyond the reach of the keeper.  Soon after it was three, when a superb pass released Jamie Smyth whose initial shot was saved by the keeper, but Mattie Ekiert was quickest to react and scored from close range. In the twenty five minute a quickly taken short free kick allowed Daniel Barfoot to dribble past four defenders before hitting the net. An away win, a clean sheet, a great team performance from Cookstown.

Team: A.Taylor, A. Devlin, C.Ballentine, T.Davidson, G.Cahoon, D.Barfoot, C.Davidson, J.Donnelly, M.Ekiert, J.Smith, N.Hailing, J.Martin, R.Campbell, R.Lennox


Last Saturday the Colts entertained Richill AFC Reserves at MUSA in the Mid Ulster Shield.

Once again the Colts were caught sleeping early on when a corner in the second minute saw a Richill forward rise to head the ball unchallenged to put Richill 1-0 up.

The Colts then bucked up their ideas and got into the game. A deep corner in the sixth minute saw Ryan O’Neill head the ball back across the box and Danny McElhatton hit the post. On fifteen minutes a long kick out from Jamie Campbell saw William Montgomery’s header come back off the crossbar but he made no mistake with the second bite to level the scores.

The matches continue to swing between both teams and the Colts continued to pressure the Richill defense with some great chances. R O’Neill made the keeper work from some free kicks and chances fell to Tiarnan Brennan and David Millar. Shane Murphy was tormenting the Richill right back throughout the half.

The second half started with Richill putting a lot of pressure on the Colts back four of Millar, Adam Bell, Gavin Harris and Cameron McMullan who dealt with it all.

Once again O’Neill made the keeper work from his free kicks. A great move down the right between O’Neill and Brennan set up Montgomery whose goal bound shot was excellently pushed away by the Richill keeper.

Then on the 75th minute from a Richill corner a McElhatton clearance caught the Richill defence out and Montgomery nipped in the head the ball over the advancing keeper to put the Colts 2-1 up.

But the lead was short lived when an advancing Richill player was able to advance on goal unchallenged and unleash a shot which found the back of the net.

Again chances were created by both sides with Campbell making a point blank save on the line which saw the Richill forward head wide from the rebound. Brennan saw a near post shot saved by the keeper and Bell headed just over from the resulting corner. R O’Neill replaced Millar for the last 5 minutes.

With the score at 2-2 the game went into extra time.

Half way through he first period Richill struck a third which was near identical to their second goal. With nothing to lose C McMullan was sacrificed and Aaron Traill was sent on as an extra forward. The Colts continued to push and created chances for Traill, Bell, O’Neill & Montgomery but it wasn’t to be.

Manager Noel McKenzie said it was a great performance in a well contested cup game. Unfortunately we gave away a couple of soft goals but it was an evenly based match which could have went either way, unfortunately for us it went the other way.

We have struggled recently with squad selections but we are going in the right direction.

Team: J Campbell, D Millar, A Bell, G Harris, C McMullan, K Devlin, T Brennan, D McElhatton, S Murphy, R O’Neill, W Montgomery. K McMullan, R McKenzie, A Traill, R O’Neill, C Benoun.

Abbey Villa 4-2 Cookstown Youth FC 

Cookstown youth were knocked out of the intermediate Cup after the long journey to Millisle going down 4-2 to the seaside villagers.

Cookstown started well and controlled the match for long spells have plenty of the ball and they took the lead after 20 minutes when Adam Keane found James McGahan  and he found the back of the home net for 1-0. Cookstown kept the pressure up but for all the time they had the ball, in the final 3rd they were very wasteful with only Paul Stewart and Kieffer Scott having shots on goal that were just wide. Abbey got back on level terms on the 41 minutes with Cookstown on the attack a poor pass was intercepted and the home team broke down the right wing with the cross only being cleared onto the path of the home forward who scored at the near post, this left the half time score 1-1.

Once more Cookstown started off with plenty of the ball but doing very little with it and another mistake resulted in another goal for the home side when Keeper Donaghy threw out the ball to Watson but the forward took the ball straight of the young defender and after a last ditch  by Keane the home team were fit to roll the ball into the net for 2-1. Cookstown got it back to level terms a few minutes later when Jack Wilson scored from a corner for 2-2. A few minutes later McGahan hit the crossbar and the Rafferty had a goal bound shot headed clear on the line. On 72 minutes the home team were back in front when they were awarded what looked to be a very soft penalty after Keane was adjudged to have brought down a player just inside the box and the home players made no mistake putting his side 3-2 up. Once more Cookstown pushed hard to get back to level terms with Rafferty, and Gabrystak going close. I the final minute the game was killed off with Cookstown on the attack the home team broke and scored what turned out to be the last kick of the match for a final score of 4-2.

Team: L Donaghy, J Turkington, J Wilson, A Watson, A Keane, P Stewart, J Leslie, J McKenna, R Brown, J McGahan, K Scott, P Gabrystak, S Arrell, C Rafferty

Cookstown Youth are away next Saturday to local rivals Cookstown RBL kick off 2pm at Cookstown High School.

Previous Last Man Standing Heads Into Week 3
Next Last Man Standing Heads Into Week 4

You might also like


Results : CYFC 11s defeated Loughgall Youth. CYFC 12s (MUYL) drew with Fivemiletown Utd. CYFC 12s (Nat Lgue) defeated Ardoyne YC. Lisdrum Eagles 5 CYFC 13s 1. CYFC 14s 5

24/11/18 – CYFC Match Reports


Last Man Standing Heads Into Week 12

CYFC Last Man Standing Competition Week 11 Results, click on the link below to see week 11  fallers and who remains in the competition. We would like to thank everybody