17/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

17/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

CYFC U10s defeated Portadown Youth

On Saturday the young sizzlers travelled down the M1 to play Portadown Youth @ the Peoples Park in Portadown. On a very small pitch the young sizzlers got off to a good start & settled into their pressing game early on, but slowly Portadown edged their way into the game & only for a smart save from Wilkinson in the CYFC goals they would have opened the scoring. Midfield once again was a battle ground & Portadown had an advantage here with being that little bit older & stronger, however Campbell & Orzel were competing well & both teams were flying into their tackles with no quarter given. Then from a goal kick Portadown broke through & Mcmullan & Donnelly were left stranded as the Portadown striker ran through on goal & placed the ball into the bottom corner of the net to open the scoring. CYFC responded well from going a goal down & when Kerr found himself with a little space in midfield, his resulting shot cannoned off the Post & out for a goal kick. The left of midfield was a little weak for Portadown & when Campbell took a throw, Gabrysiak neatly passed it into Kerr whose shot then smashed against the crossbar and was then cleared by the Portadown defence. CYFC knew their equaliser was coming & once again Kerr found himself with some space & time to this time strike the ball past the diving Portadown keeper to level the scoring. With half time fast approaching the game was an endless battle all over the pitch with both sides unable to gain the upper hand & both defences standing firm. Then once again from a long ball the Portadown attacker beat his man to fire low & hard across the CYFC goals & the ball somehow sneaked in past the post past the Diving Wilkinson to give Portadown the lead going into half time.

After a good team talk CYFC were fired up & ready to go at Portadown from the restart & they pressed Portadown all over the pitch, denying them space & time. Gabrysiak & Levsins saw shots saved by the Portadown keeper & a trademark long range effort from Campbell once again smashed against the Portadown woodwork. CYFC then won a corner after some superb work from McGurk on the right of CYFC’s midfield. The corner was whipped in with power & pace from Gabrysiak & Levsins lost his man in the box to connect beautifully & volley the ball into the net to once again level the scoring. CYFC smelt blood & Portadown were defending for their lives & throwing in the odd reckless tackle as CYFC dominated possession. Mcgurk had a great chance blocked when he met Campbell’s cross with another great volley. Moore also had a great chance when he beat his man for pace & powered his shot goal wards only for the Portadown defender slide across the goal line to clear. Then after a questionable tackle from behind on Orzel, Gabrysiak found himself beat the offside trap & coolly curl the ball into the corner of the Portadown net to take a well deserved lead. Portadown were furious & went on the attack & Wilkinson pulled off a spectacular save to deny them an equaliser of their own. Portadown pushed hard but CYFC were equal to them & in the dying seconds of the game Campbell put Gabrysiak through & he crossed to Levsins who smashed the ball past the keeper only for it to smash against the post & out. The game ended with CYFC victorious. Their grit & determination shone through with the second half performance being one of their best to date.

TEAM: Wilkinson, Donnelly, Smyth, Mcmullan, Mcgurk, Kerr, Orzel, Campbell (c), Moore, Levsins, Gabrysiak. MOM – Mcgurk

                                                              CYFC u11s defeated TTBS Juniors

Last Saturday the 2008’s faced Lurgan based TTBS Juniors in a MUYL fixture at MUSA. Buoyed by good performances in recent weeks the Whites started brightly with Donnelly testing the Lurgan keeper with a stinging free kick on 4 minutes. Wilson then tested the keeper on 7 minutes from 15 yards before Cookstown’s keeper Patterson pulled off a fine save against the speedy Lurgan forward. Wilson was then flagged offside in a tight decision on 12 minutes after finding the back of the net. A cross from Donnelly just evaded McElhatton at the back post before Long tested the keeper from outside the box. Wilson then just headed over the bar before TTBS went close again to the opener.

Into the second half in a very close game Cookstown broke the deadlock on 28 minutes with McElhatton superbly driving high into the roof of the net from the edge of the box. TTBS’ size and power continually proved a handful for the Cookstown Boys and eventually led to an equaliser within 5 minutes. Kelso then pulled off a fantastic last ditch tackle to deny the Lurgan boys a second on 40 minutes. A bullet header from Long from a corner was well saved but substitute Talbot pounced on the rebound to score for Cookstown. Donnelly made a great goal bound clearance off the line right at the death before substitute Price broke clear and drove home into the bottom corner of the net. A really close contest with moments of great play from both teams.

TEAM: B. Patterson, E. Long, E. Irwin, J. Ferson, A. McElhatton (1), H. McKenzie, J. Donnelly, I. Kelso, J. Price (1), J. Wilson, C. Talbot (1), J. Patterson.

                                                                 CYFC u13 Colts 0-1 Arnagh

On Saturday Cookstown Colts were unlucky not to take any points in a superb performance against Armagh.

Cookstown were solid defensively and organised themselves to absorb early pressure very well. The Colts had their first setback when soon into the game both Dylan Hamilton and Shayne Ferrity suffered injuries. In an unusual game filled with injury breaks, Scott Gillis was the next to suffer. Odhran Mulligan was introduced and had a very solid performance.

The half time break gave the home side a chance to regroup and settle themselves. Fresh from the break Cookstown burst into the second half with intent and immediately looked dangerous through Shaun Og Shields. Marcus Boyd, Ben McCormack and Ciaran Devlin were battling hard for the team and being creative when in possession.

Despite the good start Cookstown conceded a penalty but were rescued by Ethan Gordon who pulled off a fantastic save to his right. Armagh were lucky to take the lead when a weak shot deflected off a Colts defender and into the back of the net. Ethan Gordon then took a nasty injury and was replaced by Conor Moran who also made a brilliant double save from close range. Cookstown never gave up and showed a great team spirit, pushing for an equaliser. Shaun Og Shields and Ciaran Devlin both had attempts on goal with chances also falling to Callum McCreesh, Jude Murphy and Michael Devlin but the ball would not go in for the Colts in what was a very exciting game.

Team: Ethan Gordon, Dylan Hamilton, Scott Gillis, Sean Devlin, Ryan Eccles, Shayne Ferrity, Ben McCormack, Ciaran Devlin, Marcus Boyd, Shaun Og Shields, Conor Moran, Callum McCreesh, Jude Murphy, Odhran Mulligan, Michael Devlin

                                                                       CYFC u15s 2-1 Tri Star u15s

U15 s entertained Tri Star at MUSA in fiesty and hugely entertaining encounter. Dispite conceding an early goal and losing Lormour through injury Cookstown finished the 1st half the stronger team. The introduction of Scott up front for 2nd half brought a more physical presence and m.o.m performance.  With the midfield now dictating play cuff got a deserved equaliser an exquisite finish from Murphy. Being encouraged by an enthusiastic audience cuff pushed hard for another goal only to be undone by a last gasp winner for the visitors. A gallant effort and best performance in recent weeks.

                                                                 CYFC u16s 6 – Banbridge Town FC 1

Cookstown Youth U16’s travelled to Kernan Playing Fields to play Banbridge Town FC in the Mid Ulster Youth League on Saturday. Cookstown were determined to get off to a good start and were immediately on the front foot, their early dominance paying off when a great cross from Jamie Smith was headed home by Callum Davidson after just five minutes. A few minutes later it was two when a neat layoff by Mattie Ekiert played in Jamie Smith who fired home. With fifteen minutes on the clock Aidan Devlin’s long throw-in found Mattie Ekiert whose early shot beat the keeper at his near post. Cookstown kept up the pressure and a tremendous save from the Banbridge keeper denied Rhys Campbell who came close with a powerful header from a corner kick. With halftime approaching Jamie Smith scored his second when he nipped in ahead of the onrushing keeper, chipping over him. The second half was played at a much slower pace with Cookstown allowing Banbridge too much time and space and paid the price when they conceded midway through the half. Cookstown stepped up the pace again and a strong finish saw them score two goals late on, the first, a first goal for Nathan Halling who was quickest to react to a spill from the keeper. The second a penalty that was won and converted by Jamie Smith.

Team: A.Taylor, A. Devlin, C.Ballentine, R.Campbell, T.Davidson, G.Cahoon, D.Barfoot, C.Davidson, J.Donnelly, M.Ekiert, J.Smith, N.Hailing, J.Martin, R.Lennox

MOM. Aidan Devlin

                                                                CYFC u18s 2-1Lurgan Town

After a bad couple of weeks results wise, The young guns were looking to put it behind them and get back to winning ways against a Lurgan Town team who had scored 7 last week against Rossowen.

Straight away you could see that this was going to be a tough game as Lurgan Town pushed the Cookstown defence back from the 1st minute. They were having a lot of possession and going down the Lurgan right wing BUT kenning was having a good game against the lurgan no 10 who seemed to be the danger man in the first half.

After 20 mins the young guns take the lead when they get a corner and Gabrysiak sent in a lovely floating ball and up popped the “Big Man “ Elkennon on the penalty spot to head a unstoppable bullet in the top left hand corner of the net. CYFC 1-0

This spurred Lurgan into putting more pressure on the cookstown back 5 of Mullan, Patterson, Elkennon, Kenning and Campbell who were determined not to let Lurgan score and also had a man in Silva who was blocking everything coming into midfield and with the young guns starting to control the play opportunities were created but not taken and with play going back and forth this ended the 1st half CYFC 1-0.

The 2nd half started as the same as the first with Lurgan Town on the front foot and creating a few chances and after 15 mine were back on terms as they started to lump the ball up field, 1 kick beat the defence and the Lurgan No8 thumped the ball low into the net past Campbell who had no chance. CYFC 1-1.

Things didn’t change as Lurgan continued to push for a winner and had created 4-5 chance but the cookstown defence held tight. On 1 of the Lurgan attacks silva broke a challenge and this led to Mcgonigle going

on a 35mtr run, he then crossed for Trail to tap in at the back post. CYFC 2-1.

The young guns then seemed to switch off and gave a lot of ball away and again this let Lurgan back in the game but thankfully the full time whistle went and the win was got. CYFC 2-1.

This was a very important win for the young guns as it stopped a run they didnt want to keep going and now get a renewed lift in spirits for the next league game against Annagh Utd in the league.

Team: J.Campbell, R.Mullan, B.Patterson, J.Elkennon, W.Kenning, F.Silva, P.Gabrysiak, C.Mcgonigle, C.Robb, A.Traill, M.McCracken, Ronan Mullan, K.Fault, J.Glendinning, Z.McMenemy.

Previous 10/11/18 - CYFC Match Reports
Next Last Man Standing Heads into Week 7

You might also like


Congratulation to CYFC 11s player Michael Mc Elhatton who has been selected to represent the Mid Ulster Youth League U11s at the upcoming Craigavon Cup in May, and also Michaels

13/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

CYFC U13s 2-1 Valley Rangers  Cookstown travelled to play Valley Rangers on Saturday in shocking conditions. Despite the poor weather both teams provided an excellent game of football. After a


CYFC 18s 3  Rossario 1 Cookstown got off to a great start in the quarter final of the Harry Cavan cup, taking the lead inside a minute. James Kilpatrick slid