06/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

06/10/18 – CYFC Match Reports

CYFC u11’s defeated Armagh 

Last Saturday the 2008’s got their MUYL league cup campaign off to a flier with a comprehensive victory over Armagh at home at the Mid Ulster Sports Arena. From the first whistle the young sizzlers showed their intent when Kelso struck a thunderbolt into the top right hand corner from twenty yards on 2 minutes. A great pass from Kelso then found top goal scorer Wilson 2 minutes later to double the White’s lead. Donnelly went close with two great efforts with one rebounding off the post and the other well saved by the Armagh keeper. A superb corner from O’Neill was powered home by Wilson with a great header for his second and Cookstown’s third on 13 minutes. Wilson completed his deserved  hat-trick 3 minutes later after he latched unto a Kelso rebound off the post. Donnelly then made it a fantastic five on 19 minutes with a powerful volley from 15 yards. O’Neill and Talbot both had chances before Talbot finished a good run down the right with a pinpoint cross for Kelso to bury Cookstown’s sixth at half time. With the game won the management moved several players around to encourage development in different positions in the second half. Donnelly went close with a chance on 35 minutes in a closer second half. Defender Ferson finished the game with a great finish on 40 minutes with his first goal of the season. Patterson in goal made 2 great saves during the second half to keep a clean sheet. Well done to Harry McKenzie who played through a painful back injury to captain his team to victory.

TEAM: B. Patterson, J. Price, E. Irwin, J. Ferson, L. O’Neill, H. McKenzie, J. Donnelly, J. Wilson, I. Kelso, C. Talbot.

CYFC u13 Youth 8-0 Lisdrum

On Saturday CYFC U 13 Youth team travelled to Portadown to take on Lisdrum. The CYFC lads started much the brighter of the two teams as Lisdrum failed to clear their lines. CYFC opened the scoring after just 3 minutes after Ben Mallon latched onto a mistimed Lisdrum goal kick and thumped in a shot from 20 yards into the top right hand corner of the net. CYFC capitalised further after just 2 minutes with some superb individual play down the right hand side by Peter McClean eventually crossing the ball into the box, slotted home again by Ben Mallon. Mallon was in the thick of things again mid way through the first half as he danced along the right wing and fizzed in a superb cross which was tapped in by James Bell. Bell was on the score sheet again on the stroke of half time, after Tom Wilkinson threaded a ball through the centre giving him an opportunity one on one with the keeper which he duly dispatched into the left hand corner of the Lisdrum net.

The second half saw more of the same sparkling play from CYFC. Within minutes of the restart Mallon chipped the ball over the Lisdrum defender before rifling a shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net. This was the pick of his goals in the second half as he went on to deliver two more before the final whistle. James Bell picked up the final goal of the match, bagging his own hat trick and sealing another satisfying performance for the CYFC lads. Next Saturday the CYFC  take on Lurgan Celtic at the MUSA.

Team: Jack McClure, Tom Pitts, Charlie Hawker, Conall Sheehy, Luke McElkennon, Jamie Kerrigan, James Bell, Shea McGeehan, Peter McClean, Luke Neeson, Jack Kearney, Tom Wilkinson, Aaron Quinn, Vance McKeown, Chris Ward and Ben Mallon.

Maiden City Academy 0-1 Cookstown Youth U14s 

The U14s went into this game full of confidence on the back of a string of unbeaten games. The game started with Cookstown settling quickly on the ball playing composed possession football, continuously recycling the ball and making their opponents chase the ball. The back four and goalkeeper were extremely confident and this created a platform for a lot of attacks.

A string of balls were being played by Hampsey down the left and the home team were struggling to cope. This composure from the back four was not being matched by the attackers and a number of good opportunities were wasted resulting in long shots being taken when other options were on. The half ended with Cookstown dominating possession but creating little.

The second half started much the same, Cookstown dominating the ball but failing with the final ball. A change in formation was installed, with McCann replacing Donnelly and Taylor moving upfront. This resulted in a bit more pressure being applied in the final third. A number of dangerous free kicks were now being awarded to the visitors. From one of these frees, Hampsey struck a good shot which the keeper struggled to handle and the alert Lamont put the ball into the net, only for the referee to wrongly rule the goal out for offside. The game was coming to an end but Cookstown were continuing to pressure the home team. Taylor created a number of chances but failed to convert. With one minute to go, Cookstown were again awarded a free kick 25 yards out. Young stepped up and fired a driving shot which found the top left corner. The game shortly finished giving the visitors a 1 nil win.

Next Sat the team travel to Belfast to play Shamrocks in the Irish Cup where they will look to continue their winning streak. Our thanks to our travelling supporters who came out to support the team.

Team: E.McCracken, K.Lamont, E.Cowden, K.Levsins, K.Hampsey, J.Shepard, A.Donnelly, B.McADoo, K.Taylor, J.Young, E.Johnstone, R.Devlin, S.McCann, A.Kelso

CYFC u16s 11-1 Lurgan Celtic

Cookstown Youth U15’s travelled to Lurgan, to play Lurgan Celtic on Saturday. Cookstown were determined to get off to a good start and were immediately on the front foot, putting the home team under pressure. Cookstown opened the scoring after ten minutes when a Jamie Smith cross was met by Jake Donnelly who hit the top corner of the net. Two minutes later it was two, when Mattie Ekiert chipped over the advancing keeper. Ekiert claimed an early hat-trick when he scored the next two in quick succession. With half time approaching, Jamie Smith netted after a neat layoff by Daniel Barfoot. With Cookstown in control the second half was similar to the first with goals from Smith, Ekiert, Barfoot and a superb long range strike from Timothy Davidson. A great team performance and result for Cookstown.

Team: A.Taylor, A. Devlin, C.Ballentine, T.Davidson, G.Cahoon, D.Barfoot, C.Davidson, J.Donnelly, M.Ekiert, J.Smith, N.Hailing, J.Martin, R.Campbell, R.Lennox

CYFc u18s 4-1 Fivemiletown u18s 

With the Young guns scoring goals at will in the last few weeks one of the main threats was to come in the form of Fivemiletown, this was going to be challenge anyway but also as the reserve team had called up 2 players (and 1 of the U18s coachs)  as they were a few men down for the game later in the day.

This proved to be correct as for the first 25 mins CYFC could not get out of their own half as fivemiletown put some serious pressure on our defence and goalkeeper. Fivemiletown had at least 4-5 good chances and this doesn’t include 2 very good saves from gault in goal and also hitting the post!! On the 25th min though the game changed as McGonigle intercepted a midfield pass and spotted McCracken 1V1 on the fivemiletown centre half, a through ball to McCracken and he outpaced the centre half and chipped the advancing keeper with style. CYFC 1-0

The game for the rest of the half was very back and forth with both teams having chances, BUT the luck went to fivemiletown as the Midfield No7 who was controlling the midfield battle ran past 4 men and took a shot from the edge of the area and this surprised gault who had no chance in goal as it went into the bottom corner CYFC 1-1

At half time the coaches made a couple of changes in midfield, Gabrysiak went into centre Mid and Mullan came on for Biggers who was injured during play. This paid dividend after 55 mins as in a 15-20 min spell the CYFC blitzed fivemiletown with 3 golas playing some very good football.

Mcgonigle went passed 4 Men in midfield and passed onto Traill who from an acute angle put the ball into the roof of the net, even the keeper didn’t realize it was in till it bounced and hit the back of the net. CYFC 2-1.

Then Kenning having a very good game at left back passed to gabrysiak, who had found himself up front turned and swivelled round leaving the keeper on the floor to push his goal tally even higher.

Then finally gabrysiak made a dinking run past 2-3 defenders thought his shot was in but the keeper parried it only to find McCracken in the right place at the right time to bundle the ball home and give himself another brace. CYFC4-1

This then settled the game down and both sets of teams put on the subs ( this included a Jamie Donnell who is only 13 years of age)and this changed the game again by both teams having more chance but it ended up as a CYFC Win.

This was a very good game and played in the right spirit with both teams giving there all but thankfully CYFC came out on top and this means we finish top of group 2. This cup now stops for a few weeks and the league games start. Our Next game is Home to Annagh Utd in the 1st League game of the year and the young guns will hope to continue their winning ways.

Team:  K.Gault, J. Glendinning, B.Patterson, R .Mullan, W.Kenning, P.Gabrysiak, F.Silva, D.Biggers, C.Mcgonigle, A.Traill, M.McCracken, R.Mullan, A.Montgomery, J Donnell.

Cookstown Youth 1st 3-1 Ballymoney Utd 

Cookstown youth took the points in a hard fought match against Ballymoney at the Mid ulster Sports arena with a 3-1 score line.

The home team started the better of the two sides and were playing some neat football and there 1st chance came on 15 minutes when Kieffer Scott linked well to set up James McGahan but his shot was just over the bar from 16 yards out. The home side continued to be the better side with the midfield 3 of James Leslie, Paul Stewart and Johnny Mckenna working their socks off and winning their battles. On 25mintes it was that man MaGahan again who turned his man on the edge of the box but his shot shaved the outside of the post with the keeper stranded. The away team had a spell of pressure and a few corners in a row but the Cookstown back line of Turkington, Keane, Watson, and Wilson were clearing their line well and kept the away team at bay. On the half hour make McGahan pick the ball up on the right and cut inside to fire and great shot that looked like it was heading to the top corner only for the Ballymoney Keeper to pull of an outstanding save. Cookstown took the lead on 41 minutes when McGahan put the defender under some pressure and Kieffer Scott was fit to nip in and nick the ball of the defender and turn and shot into the near for 1-0. The home side switched of for the final few minutes of the half and Ballymoney had a few chances of their own but the could not find the target to leave the half time score 1-0 to Cookstown.

Ballymoney were the team on the front foot at the start of the 2nd half and put the Cookstown defence under a lot of pressure, Wilson cleared one from his goal line and then Donaghy pulled of a wonderful save from a header, The very Hard working Paul Stewart won a header inside the six yard box to keep the Ballymoney boys out,  again the away team kept this tempo up and the Cookstown guys could not get out of their own half for long periods and it was soon all level, on 60 minutes Ballymoney had four shots blocked either inside the box or on the edge  before it rebounded to a player 24 yards out who curled and shot into the top corner giving Donaghy no chance. From the kick off McGahan found Scott on the right and he made a great run into the box with his shot being Blocked and a scramble for the ball looked very like the Ballymoney player had made contact with his hand but as the local lads appealed for a clear penalty the ref played on and Ballymoney were fit to clear. The home team made a few changes to bring on fresh legs when Brown replaced Leslie and Rafferty replaced Arrell. Cookstown were soon back in front when Turkington crossed fell to Scott at the back post and he made no mistake to find the back of the net for 2-1 after 68 minutes.  The game was now very open and end to end, Rafferty had a great chance on 75 minutes when he cut inside and left the defender for dead but with only the keeper to beat he blazed his shot over.  At the other end Donaghy made another good save and a few minutes later Wilson was on hand again to clear a ball of the line. Cookstown when 3-1 up on 86 minutes when Jack Wilson made a great run down the left wing and his cross found McGahan who made no mistake from 6 yards out to find the bottom corner for 3-1. Both team had chances in the final few minutes but no more goals were scored and a well-earned 3 points for the local lads.

Team: L Donaghy, J Turkington, J Wilson, A Watson, A Keane, P Stewart, J Leslie, J Mckenna, J McGahan, K Scott, S Arrell, R Brown, C Rafferty, P Gabrysiak

Next week Cookstown take on Belfast Side St James Swifts who have not lost or drawn a match this season in all competition. Kick off is 2pm at the Mid Ulster sports arena all support welcome.

Previous 28/09/18 - CYFC Match Reports
Next 13/10/18 - CYFC Match Reports

You might also like


Cookstown Youth Football Club are celebrating 25 years in existence this year and plans are in place to mark this achievement in May of this year. CYFC started in 1991

Hard Fought Draw For The U12s

CYFC U12s 1 – 1 Armagh The CYFC Youth team travelled to Annagh playing fields on Saturday to take on Armagh City. The two sides had some hard-fought matches last


Cookstown Youth U12s v Rathfriland Youth U12s Saturday saw Cookstown U12s play their last league game of what had been an unbelievable season which the previous week saw them crowned